Seventeen Companies and Individuals Recognized for their Commitment to Sustainable Business
At the third annual ECR Awards’ sold-out event, hosted by BNN’s Howard Green, seventeen individuals and teams were named winners for their work in sustainability and
ethical business practices. Attendees celebrated the work of the many Canadian business leaders
dedicated to innovation and leadership in corporate social responsibility. Winners ranged from teams’
committed to managing risk in mining facilities, to greening Canadian homes, to an airplane manufacturer with a cradle-to-grave design philosophy, and many more.
The 2013 Outstanding Achievement Award was presented to Gord Lambert, Executive Advisor
Sustainability and Innovation, Suncor. Gord has an impressive 30-year career, demonstrating leadership and innovation in the resource sector. His work driving collaboration and the sharing of research and technology has led to unprecedented improvement and advancement of sustainability in the oil sands.
Professionals from small, medium and large corporations across a full range of industries were eligible to apply. A panel of experts judged submissions based on process, leadership, innovation, performance and results.
The Winners of the 2013 ECR Awards are:
1. Small Business – Any Sector
• Co- Founders, Mario Fiorucci and Tara Longo with team David Meli, Jonathan Abrahams, Paul
Bradshaw, Candice Zaina, Maxine Knight, and Ryan Rudnickas , The Healthy Butcher
Honourable Mention: President, Christopher Curtis, Living Wall Concepts
2. Technology, Information Technology and Telecommunications
• Environmental Engineer, Isabellee Doucet, IBM Bromont Manufacturing Plant
Honourable Mention: President and CEO, Dan Seto, Circuit Meter Inc.
3. Retail, Packaged Goods
• Senior National Manager, Quality and Sustainability, Susan D’Souza, Staples Advantage Canada
Honourable Mention: CSR Manager, Kim Wilson, and CSR Advisor Jackie Leonard-Janes, Atlantic
• Vice-President, Hélène V. Gagnon with team Bruce Parry, Kahina Oudjehani, Fassi Kafyeke,
François Caza, and Jean Séguin, Bombardier Aerospace.
• President and General Manager, Richard Kouwenhoven, Hemlock Printers Ltd.
Honourable Mention: Manager of Corporate Communications, Karen Shum, Catalyst Paper
6. Professional Services and Consultants
• Vice-President CSR, Kaz Flinn and team Gabriela Polanco-Sorto, Karen Mulchinock, Deborah
Clark, and Tania Travierso, Scotiabank
Honourable Mention: Director of Corporate Responsibility, James Temple, PwC Canada
7. Building, Design and Development (tie)
• Director of Sustainability, Darryl Neate and team Andrew McAllan and Lachlan MacQuarrie,
• Director of Research, Kathy Wardle, Perkins+Will
Honourable Mention: President and CEO, Mazyar Mortazavi and team Ali Saneinejad, Stephen
Hutchinson, Brandon Donnelly, Richelle Sibolboro, Emma Point, Jake Garrett, and Brian Rice,
TAS Design Build
8. Food and Agriculture
• CEO, John Slack, Boreal Agrominerals Inc.
9. Resource Sectors: Oil, Gas, Forestry and Mining
• Stratos and The Mining Association of Canada—President, Stephanie Meyer and team George
Greene, Michael van Aanhout, Jane Porter and Vicky Weekes, Stratos. President,